You may have heard the phrase, fat burning foods and wondered how you could ingest foods or drinks that would help burn fat. Perhaps you thought exercise was the only means for burning fat. You may have been a bit skeptical at first. But “fat burning foods” is referring to the process of thermogenesis. This term refers to the process of heat production in organisms. All foods require some heat energy for digesting and metabolizing. We measure this energy in the form of calories. Some select foods increase your metabolic rate for longer periods. By increasing your resting metabolic rate, these foods help you burn fat, even while you are resting.
Characteristics of Fat-Burning Foods
What’s so unique about this special class of fat-burning foods? Foods that burn fat faster have several things in common, including:
- High in fiber, protein, and/or healthy fats. These are attributes that help you feel fuller after eating, reduce cravings and hunger, and boost thermogenesis.
- Unprocessed, whole foods without additives. Unprocessed foods and whole foods contain no added sugar or sodium. They are typically lower in calories and sometimes contain no calories.
- Nutrient-dense. They contain essential vitamins and minerals that help provide your body with a healthy metabolism, energy, and endurance. This includes the B-vitamins, electrolytes, and iron.
Top 10 Fat-Burning Foods and Drinks
Consuming some foods can help you reduce body fat. Here are the top 10 fat-burning foods for you to add to your diet to help you burn fat and lose weight over time.
- Fatty fish. Selections like salmon, herring, mackerel, and sardines contain omega-3 fatty acids. Fish helps reduce inflammation, reduce the risk of heart disease, and help you lose body fat. Eaten twice a week, they help boost fat loss and protect heart health.
- Coconut Oil. Coconut oil contains Medium Chain Fatty Acids (MCTs). These fats are broken down in the liver and quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. By using a different metabolic pathway than regular fatty acids, they help burn fats.
- Eggs help speed up your metabolism and are high in protein. They have a high thermic effect, and the body has to burn more calories to digest and process them.
- These fruits are loaded with both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, the types of fats that help improve your metabolism. Avocados provide other health benefits too like helping reduce your BMI and waistline and lowering cholesterol.
- There are a lot of different types of berries, and they are a fun, tasty snack. They contain less sugar than other types of fruit and they help reduce fat. A single cup of berries helps reduce fats and gives your immune system a boost as well.
- Like most citrus fruits, grapefruit is loaded with potassium and antioxidants that help reduce fat. Grapefruit also helps regulate insulin levels and burns calories and fats better than most other citrus fruits.
- Greek Yogurt. Full-fat Greek yogurt is rich in prebiotics, probiotics, and protein. It provides “good bacteria” that helps support a healthy gut function. Foods rich in protein, probiotics, and prebiotics help reduce belly fat.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. Using apple cider vinegar for weight loss is one of the world’s oldest remedies. It contains acetic acid that helps reduce fat storage and burn fat. It’s also useful for helping to lower your blood sugar level and suppress your appetite.
- Chili Peppers. Capsaicin, which is an oil in chili peppers that makes them hot, is beneficial for weight loss too. Capsaicin reduces the appetite while increasing your body’s fat-burning potential which aids in weight loss.
- Green Tea. The health and fitness world has long embraced green tea due to its many health benefits. Some experts believe it helps reduce the risk of heart disease and helps protect against some types of cancer. Green tea is a great source of EGCG or epigallocatechin gallate. This antioxidant promotes fat burning and helps reduce belly fat.
Of course, you can’t always include all of these 10 fat fighters in a single day. But you can access these fat-burning components in an easy-to-take natural supplement. Our Mega Fat Burner contains no sugar, gluten, preservatives, or artificial colors. Just take two tablets before your meals and let them go to work for you.